Dread Nation: Book 1 Dread Nation Series (Hardcover)
Brilliant, honestly. Civil war-era Zombie YA AU, you say? My first thought was, sign my shit up, and that was before I knew that it involved:
- a damn near prescient thread about residential schools for Native- and African- Americans
- the struggle with the ridiculous difference in how a woman is treated being white-passing versus being obviously black that only seems to have changed shape in the last 150 years
- enemies-to-bffs trope executed beautifully
- problematic relationships with parents
- treacherous boarding schools
- Using religion as a bludgeon
- failed utopias
- a bisexual MC who has a weakness for clever men and is well aware of it
- fantastic prose and some next-level insight into human behaviors
There is literally nothing about this book I would change, and I'm just sad that Ireland has said this is only a duology (with some short stories in the 'verse). I realize that sounds crazy to say about zombie AU YA, but honestly. It's so. good. Can't wait to read the sequel.
I read both books in the series. This is now one of my favorites series. I hope she writes another one.
This book was great I liked the storyline and the character development, this book left me wanting more, good thing there is a sequel.
I love this book and the sequel! I finished them both within a week, because I couldn’t put it down